If you love your morning cup of coffee, you’ll want to be able to enjoy it wherever you are.
But instead of using disposable cups that are bad for the environment because of how they end up in landfills, and which can alter the taste of your hot drinks, you should consider purchasing a reusable coffee cup instead.
Can you use a reusable coffee cup to keep your drinks warmer for longer?
You can certainly find reusable coffee cups on the market that are insulated and made of thermal materials, such as silicone, to keep your coffee hotter for longer, so your coffee session doesn’t have to end quickly.
Here’s our guide to the best reusable coffee cup: the sustainable morning caffeine hit you know and love is now going to be even more enjoyable when you sample the coffee cups and mugs on our list of reviews.
So, get a cup of coffee and enjoy reading this guide!
Our Top Picks For The Best Reusable Coffee Cup
Best Overall Winner: YETI Rambler 14 oz Mug
This mug looks sleek and trendy, but it’s also a fantastic way to help you enjoy your morning coffee in a more sustainable way.
- Stainless steel construction
- Lid included
- This mug is made of stainless steel that’s kitchen-grade, so it’s resistant to damage and hygienic to use.
- Its steel is thick gauge, so it’s durable and will last you a long time. It’s also puncture resistant.
- It contains double-wall vacuum insulation. This makes sure that your hot drinks stay warm and your cold drinks cool.
- It has a no-sweat design, which means that you won’t battle to hold your mug of piping hot coffee and risk burning your fingers. This is also safe if you’re giving your kids hot beverages, such as milk, to drink.
- This mug really keeps your coffee or tea hot – it does this for about an hour, which is pretty amazing.
- Although this mug has a lid, some people who’ve purchased it have reported that it doesn’t always seal properly, which allows heat to escape from the mug.
- You can get this mug in 18 different colors.
- These mugs are safe to wash in the dishwasher, cutting down on your manual dish-washing tasks in the kitchen.
- The mugs are BPA-free, so they’re safe for the environment.
This is the best reusable coffee mug on the market, and it only costs around $25. Although that might sound like a lot to spend for a mug, this is a mug that will last you a long time so it’s a real investment, especially if you love to drink your coffee daily.
Runner-Up: Simple Modern 20oz Voyager Travel Mug Tumbler w/Clear Flip Lid & Straw
- Cup holder compatible
- Lid and straws included
- This mug is made of stainless steel to keep your drinks cold or hot.
- Just like the previous product on our list of reviews, this one doesn’t sweat so you don’t have to worry about burning or freezing your fingers when holding this mug. Another benefit of it not sweating is that you don’t have to worry about using coasters when placing your mug on the table.
- It has vacuum-sealed insulation and a double-walled design.
- This mug is compatible with most cup holders.
- It has a flip lid that’s easy to twist onto the mug and this also prevents leaks and spills.
- One of the drawbacks of this product is that you can only wash it by hand. It’s not safe for dishwasher use.
- The lid is a bit problematic as users have reported that it’s often impossible to open. This is even trickier if the mug is filled with hot liquid as it can risk you spilling it over yourself.
- Others have reported that the mug is not 100-percent leak-proof. This is something to bear in mind as it’s probably best not to carry it in a bag.
- You can get this mug in 29 different colors and patterns on Amazon, so there’s a style to suit everyone.
- Not only can you choose from a dizzying range of colors, but you can also choose different sizes – it comes in 12, 16, 20, or 24 ounces.
- It comes with a lid and two straws included.
This is one of the best reusable travel coffee mugs, and it’s much cheaper than the previous product we featured, coming it at around $20. It also has some extra features, such as by providing you with straws and being fit for various cup holders.
Best Silicone Reusable Coffee Cup: Stojo On The Go Coffee Cup
Silicone is a popular material in cups and other items because it’s environmentally-friendly, it’s more durable than plastic, and it can also tolerate high and low temperatures better. So, let’s take a look at this reusable silicone coffee cup and why it’s one of the best on the market.
- Collapsible cup
- Food-grade silicone
- Free of toxins
- This coffee cup is collapsible, so it makes the perfect travel mug when you’re on the go. It’s collapsible height is 1.88 inches so it’s really easy to pop it into your bag when you need to. (It’s expanded height is 4.25 inches.)
- It’s made of food-grade silicone. This makes it safe for hot and cold drinks alike, giving you many more uses for it.
- Some people who’ve used this coffee cup have reported that it absorbs odors.
- Others have said that the cup isn’t leak-proof.
- It comes in 21 different colors.
- It’s safe for use in both the dishwasher and microwave.
- It’s also healthy for the environment because it’s free of BPA, lead, and phthalates.
Thanks to all of its wonderful features, you might think the Stojo coffee cup is expensive, but it only costs $15.00. It’s a budget-friendly and effective coffee cup that you’ll love to use, whether you’re traveling or not.
Best Thermal Reusable Coffee Cup: Café Concetto Thermal Travel Mug
At first glance, this coffee travel mug will definitely intrigue you because it has a rounded bottom. Let’s check out its features.
- Titanium coating
- Non-slip sleeve
- Transparent lid
- If you want a travel coffee mug that looks modern and trendy, you’ll love this one by Café Concetto. It’s coated in titanium which not only looks stylish but also prevents chips and cracks.
- The mug is also constructed out of high-quality stainless steel so it’s strong and durable.
- It’s got a non-slip silicone sleeve. This makes it easier to carry around with you.
- Just like with other reusable coffee cups and mugs on the market, this one has a cool-to-touch design for increased comfort and safety when using it.
- You don’t have to worry about your hot drinks getting cold or your cold drinks getting warm – this reusable mug will keep your drinks hot for an hour and keep drinks you want to enjoy cool nice and cold for up to five hours. This is thanks to its double-wall vacuum insulation.
- This coffee mug doesn’t fit all cup holders.
- If you like to drink a lot of coffee, you might be disappointed with the size of this mug, which has an eight-ounce capacity. This is quite a lot less when compared to other reusable cups we’ve featured in our best reusable coffee mug reviews.
- It comes in three beautiful colors: Gold, Rose Gold, and Graphite. Classy!
- It’s got a transparent lid that’s free of BPA and also prevents you from spilling your drink.
- It’s got a polished and rust-resistant interior design.
This stylish thermal reusable coffee cup costs $40.00. It’s quite expensive, but made out of strong materials. It’s perfect for you if you want a beautiful coffee mug that will last you a long time and make you feel pampered when you’re traveling around town!
Best Ceramic Reusable Coffee Cup: W&P Porter Ceramic Mug
Ceramic is durable, resistant to wear and tear, and easy to clean, so it’s a great material to use in mugs. If you love ceramic mugs, this one by W&P Porter is worth checking out.
- Silicone sleeve
- Fits car cup holders
- Not only is this cup made of ceramic, but it’s got a silicone sleeve as well as a BPA-free lid.
- Its silicone sleeve prevents spills as well as damage, such as in the form of scratches or nicks. It also makes it easier to hold as it feels soft.
- As we’ve seen with some other reusable coffee cups, sometimes their lids are problematic. This W&P Porter mug is designed with attention paid to the lid pressing gently into the mug. This makes it easier to use while still preventing you from spilling your drink.
- The mug is said to be splash-resistant but it’s not leak-proof!
- Some people who have purchased this coffee cup have reported that it can sometimes be hot to the touch when drinks inside it are very hot.
- It also doesn’t keep drinks hot for very long – some users have reported that it keeps their drinks hot for a maximum of 15 to 20 minutes.
- It comes in seven stylish styles and colors, and you can choose between two sizes: 12 oz and 16 oz.
- It will fit most car cup holders.
- It can be safely put in the microwave or dishwasher.
This reusable coffee mug costs $25. It looks stylish and has some good features, but if you’re looking for a well-insulated mug that isn’t hot to hold and keeps your drinks hot for longer, this might not be the best choice.
It is, however, a fantastic and beautiful mug to use on a daily basis and its ceramic construction is sure to be highly durable.
Reusable Coffee Cup FAQ
Ready to purchase a new reusable coffee cup from our reusable coffee mug review?
Great! Here are some things to know about reusable coffee cups.
Will Starbucks fill a reusable cup?
If you’re hoping to bring your reusable coffee cup to Starbucks so you can enjoy your favorite Starbucks coffee in it, you’re about to be disappointed.
Starbucks has stated that it will temporarily stop making use of personal cups and instead will be providing its customers with disposable cups in the U.S. and Canada.
This is as a result of the Covid-19 virus that has swept the globe.
Although Starbucks used to ask its customers who brought reusable cups to the establishment to remove the lids before their cups were filled, in order to reduce germs that could be transferred to the cup from people’s mouths, with Covid-19 showing that the virus can last on surfaces for days, new hygiene rules have had to be enforced to prevent the spread of the virus.
However, this is a temporary regulation that will hopefully change as Covid-19 becomes less of a concern.
How do you clean reusable coffee cups?
Since you’ll be using your reusable coffee cup on a regular, or even daily, basis, you have to ensure that you keep it clean and hygienic.
You can pop your reusable coffee mug in the dishwasher in some cases, as long as it’s safe to do so.
As we’ve seen in our reviews of reusable coffee cups, there are many products that can safely be washed in this way.
However, you can also hand-wash your mug. All you need is hot water and a bit of liquid dish soap as well as your trusty kitchen sponge.
Put some dish soap on your sponge and wash your mug. Then wash it with hot water and dry it with a soft cloth.
If you feel like your reusable coffee cup needs a bit more of an intensive clean, you can do so by using vinegar.
This is an effective and eco-friendly cleaning solution that works well to clean stains.
Fill the cup with warm water and a teaspoon of vinegar and let it sit for about 20 minutes. Afterwards, wash it with soap and water to eliminate any vinegar odors.
Not a fan of vinegar?
You can also use baking soda to wash your reusable coffee cup.
Just mix together equal parts water and baking soda to make a paste with them. Using an old toothbrush or soft brush, scrub any rings or stains in your cup with this paste.
Bear in mind that if you have a reusable coffee cup that’s made out of stainless steel or aluminum, you shouldn’t use baking soda or vinegar to wash it otherwise this could damage its coating.
No matter what type of reusable coffee mug you have, you should always take extra care when washing it so that you don’t remove its paintwork.
Soap and hot water are the best to use if you have a mug made of those materials, or one that has paintwork on it.
If your reusable coffee cup has a lid, you should remove it (if it has detachable parts) and wash it with dishwashing liquid and hot water.
You can also soak it in this solution for about 15 minutes.
If you can’t remove the lid completely, you can try to clean it with a toothbrush or even a cotton swab so that you can get into any hard-to-reach places.
Always make sure you properly wash and dry your reusable coffee cup’s lid and removable seal. This is important to prevent mold, which can hide in those places and make you sick.
Are plastic reusable coffee cups safe?
Plastic can be used as a material for a reusable coffee cup, but it’s not always the best.
If your coffee cup contains plastic, you need to ensure that it doesn’t contain harmful toxins such as BPA that can have negative health effects.
Once you know what chemicals are lurking in your plastic cup, it’s worth bearing in mind that plastic does have some advantages when used to make reusable coffee cups.
It’s lightweight and also strong. However, one of the biggest disadvantages of using a plastic coffee cup is that the plastic can change the way your coffee or tea tastes.
This is why it’s better to use a reusable coffee cup that’s made of materials such as silicone.
This is better for the environment because it’s durable. Since it lasts longer than plastic, you’ll be able to use your silicone reusable coffee cup for much longer so it doesn’t have to be thrown in the bin.
As a plus, silicone also tolerates hot and cold temperatures much better than plastic, so you can ensure that your drinks stay cold or hot for longer, whichever you prefer, therefore increasing the enjoyment of drinking them.
When it comes to Covid-19 concerns, it’s been said that reusable plastic coffee cups are safe to use, as long as you practice good hygiene when using them.
This includes washing them with a disinfectant and hot water, as well as remembering not to touch your nose or mouth if you’re getting your hot drink filled at a coffee shop.
Can I microwave Starbucks reusable cups?
If you’ve got a Starbucks reusable cup, you might wonder how long it will last and if you can do certain things with it, like put it in the microwave.
The Starbucks plastic travel cup was reviewed by Good Housekeeping as being light to carry around and therefore comfortable to drink from, but it did battle to maintain the heat of coffee.
Putting it in the microwave to warm it up was safe, and as a bonus the cup is also safe for use in the dishwasher when you want to wash it.
However, be warned that it requires the use of a sleeve around it so that you won’t burn your fingers when handling it.
You can find a reusable coffee cup that retains heat for longer, doesn’t sweat so that your fingers won’t be burned by the hot drink inside it, and is microwave-friendly in our previous reviews.
That makes the most sense because you won’t have to worry about using plastic cups that don’t give you all the features you want.
You love drinking hot tea and coffee every day, but you’ve become disappointed with how quickly they become tepid once poured.
If that applies to you, you’ll be glad to know that things are about to change!
After reading this guide to the best reusable cups on the market, you’ll be excited to extend your coffee drinking time every day while also ensuring that you cut down on your waste by not throwing away disposable cups.
These reusable coffee cups are great for the environment and you, helping you to enjoy your delicious coffee without the guilt, which is just how it should be.